Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Admiration

For all SAHMs. Seriously.

I've been out of school for about a month now, and lemme tell ya....the moms who get up everyday and get themselves and their kids ready for the day, do interesting and educational activities, and keep a relatively clean house....well, they are just superheroes!

I've known this for a while, but it's time to make a formal declaration: I am not fit to be a SAHM. I am no good at getting us going in the morning (it's 12:40 p.m. and I just got dressed and my child is lying on the floor, half dressed, watching Spongebob), tend to forget about educational activities in favor of surfin' the net while my kid zones out to tv, and my house is a WRECK, which I attribute to us being here all the time.

P was in swim lessons a week or so ago and will be starting his next session next Monday. Thank goodness for that! Something that gets us out of the house gets us MOVING!

Maybe it's because we've had the hottest June EVER. (Seriously, folks. Since records have been kept, this has literally been the hottest June in Houston's history. Yeah. Lovely. Maybe it's because it's only been a month, and if I had more time, we'd create a routine (I'd like to think so, I would). Maybe it's because we are just a big bunch of couch potatoes who can only occasionally rouse ourselves from the sofa. Whatever the reason, it's fairly obvious: we are a big ole lazy family, unfit for home-schooling or even summer educational activities! The shame, the shame!

Now, that's not to say we do NOTHING. We spent the entire day at Sea World the other day and had a blast! We've been to the beach, and in an hour, we are off to the library to learn about sharks, skates, and rays! P is on a soccer team that practices 3 times a week (lucky for us, it's neighborhood kids, so it's FREE!). We have read a BUNCH of books, and have learned some anthropology and science, thanks to the NatGeo channel and especially to the Travel Channel!

However. I'll conclude this by saying that I am in full awe of all SAHMs and think that you guys ROCK! As for me, I'm going to let my kid play Nick, Jr. games and start mentally planning for the school year.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I soon understood why the working moms felt the way they did (for the most part) about working. I'm not a good SAHM after about age 2, I think. I'd like to work fewer hours a day, but wouldn't want to go back to not working out of the home at all.

    ReplyDelete