Sunday, January 18, 2009

Leaky tub, no more!

One of my goals was to complete 6 home improvement/home repair projects. Well, I'm ashamed to admit it, but my tub faucet has been leaky for the better part of a year. Oh, what a bad hippie I am. Horrible! Finally, yesterday I decided it would be fixed.

We removed the panel out of P's room to turn off the water to the tub. What a surprise! There was no water valve, just wall. What??? Apparently, the shoddy construction of this house never ends. I assume there is a valve behind the wall, it's just closed it. Sigh. So, we went outside and opened the other panel, only to discover a hole that had literally been punched in the wall, giving us access to the main water valve. Wow. Just wow.

After I got over my anger towards the now defunct Royce Builders (who went out of business for good reasons, obviously), we turned the water off and removed the faucet handle. Yanked HARD on the thing-a-ma-jig (which is why I can never be a plumber. My lack of technical terms) to get it out and commenced to the hardware store to get a new one. Oh. Except that people decided to crash into one another, completely shutting down a major highway and forcing us to take a scenic detour on a two lane road. And it was dark, so the detour was not all that scenic. When we finally reached the store, long after we should have been home, we could not find the exact part. What we found was pretty darn close, so we crossed our fingers and prayed. Also, we hoped for a good return policy.

Back home, things were uneventful as the part fit, we put everything back together, and turned the water back on. Ta-da!

The most beautiful part was when I woke this morning and did NOT hear the drip-drip-drip of water from the tub! Ahhhhh. A good steward of the Earth, am I.

And I'm completing goals in the process. Yay!

3 comments:

  1. /woot for no more leaky tubs. we have some major work to be done in our bathroom too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this was not nearly as hard as I thought it was. Doing this repair gave me the courage to find a "leaky washing machine" tutorial online, so it looks like there will be some swearing--I mean, fixing--of a washing machine in my future. giggle! (Gotta love owning a house. Sigh. I miss calling the landlord to get this stuff fixed!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. It's been an ongoing battle with our 70s trailer. We are hoping to use some tax money to do a half remodel of the bathroom. We're knocking out a wall, getting rid of a closet and putting in a new tub. One that I can sit down in!!!

    ReplyDelete