Saturday, January 31, 2009

Love is in the air in February!

Which means that I get to fulfill my "goal" of making a new recipe! Hooray! What should I cook? Oh, the possibilities are endless! I scored an Alice Waters cookbook today (she of the famed Chez Panisse and just an amazing person who emphasizes fresh, local ingredients that are simply prepared) for $1! Holy cow! Can you believe that? Barnes and Noble was having a big sale, and I promised P that we'd head to the mall for some Thomas fun (never mind that he has a train table at home).

While at the beloved book store, I grabbed the February issue of Vegetarian Times to peruse while P played with the trains. The trains, as you may know, are located in the kids area, so unless I want to read a kids book (not so bad, but I like to pretend I'm an adult sometimes), I gotta grab something QUICK before I'm dragged by a surprisingly strong almost 4 year old to the magic area.

Let me tell you something about Vegetarian Times. Every single recipe made me want to eat it. NOW. Wow! I had never looked at that mag before, and it was definitely cool to have every single recipe be meat-free! I'm not used to that, as I'm used to more mainstream mags that will always include chicken, fish, beef, and pork and since "times are tough" and we're all "trying to eat healthier" may include some token vegetarian recipe, usually with a butt load of olive oil, probably to make it "taste good" since it doesn't have any meat. (Can you sense my sarcasm? Sorry. Living in Texas is NOT conducive to a vegetarian lifestyle, illustrated by the fact that I am ready to shove the next person who tells me that they couldn't NOT eat meat, or who asks what I could possibly eat! All right, all right! I get it! You like meat! Now shut up and leave me alone with my kale)

I simply had to great the magazine. I had to. And fortunately for me, I have slightly more money than I thought, due to a budgeting error that worked in my favor (when does THAT happen??), so I could afford this little splurge! You see, I've decided that getting out of debt is a gigantic goal, and I've been doing exceptionally well at avoiding extras. But bookstores are my kryptonite. So, I suppose I should be glad they were having a sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment