Sunday, December 28, 2008

101 goals in 1001 days

Hmm. So, the way this works is that instead of setting one or two NY's resolutions that I am likely to break, I should set 101 goals that I will be less likely to break? Huh. Let's learn a bit more, shall we?

From Day Zero, the official home of the project, we get this:

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.

2. Stay Focussed. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.

3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.

4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.

5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.
Ok. Well, that clears things up a bit. And doggone it, I just love to bite off more than I can chew, just to see how long I can keep the balls in the air before they come crashing down onto my upturned face, so you know I am down with this! Party time!

I don't have all my goals yet. In fact, I don't have a single goal. But I will! I have narrowed these 101 goals into 4 categories, each of which will contain approximately 25 goals. Handy, eh? And good with a calculator, too.

My four goals:

1. Health

2. Finances

3. Love Life

4. Personal

So, you can see that these four categories are relatively free to interpretation.

1. Health includes my weight, what I eat and do not eat, HOW MUCH I eat, medicine, dental, working out, gaining flexibility, preparing my body for a new pregnancy (eek!!), and self-care, too!

2. Finances. Oh, what to say about these little lovelies? Paying off debt, saving money, practicing being income free next year by living off J's income alone, saving for a vacation, selling this house!, having a baby!

3. Love life. Titter! Getting my marriage back on track (it's there right now, or at least moving swiftly in a good direction, but I feel like it's on a ledge), date night. Hmmm. Is this one going to warrant 25 goals? Maybe I ought to let J help with this section.

4. Personal.....the hodge podge category, if ever there was one. Spirituality (I think I want to explore pagan/wicca traditions again!), self-growth, education, career, meditation, learning to play the guitar, updating a blog, etc!

Over the next few days, I'm going to create my list. If you have any suggestions, feel free to chime in!

Warmly,
bella

No comments:

Post a Comment